God’s Indwelling Presence
Another aspect of God’s omnipresence is God’s indwelling presence. This is where it gets personal. The God of the universe lives inside us. Jesus said, “I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you.” This is what gives us life and enables us to live the Christian life.
The Spirit of God (The Holy Spirit) dwells in man through the process of regeneration which means new birth or passing from death to life. When you become a Christian by receiving God’s free gift of eternal life through His son Jesus who died for our sins you also receive the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. The indwelling of God refers to the power of the Spirit of God manifested in the new nature God created, known through the graces given and the presence of God felt.
1) The baptism, indwelling, and filling of every believer by God the Holy Spirit. (1 Cor. 12:13; Rom. 8:9; Acts 2:4)
2) The indwelling of every believer by the Lord Jesus Christ through faith. (John 7;39; 14:17- 21; 17:23, 26)
The Purpose of God’s Indwelling Presence
The indwelling of God’s presence in our life is the key to the Christian life. With out the Holy Spirit dwelling in us it would be impossible to live the Christian life. He gives us new life. With out Him we would still be slaves to our sinful nature. As you will see in the following examples from the Bible He is essential for living a victorious Christian life. The following examples are just a few of the many things that He does in our lives:
1) Spiritual enabling through the “filling of the Holy Spirit” (Eph. 3:16; 5:18; 1 Cor. 2:10-16) to understand Bible doctrine, to facilitate prayer, and to live the Christian life.
2) Sealing the believer until the resurrection of the body, “the day of redemption.” (Rom 8:16, Eph.1:13,14; 4:30)
3) Exercising of the believer’s spiritual gift. (1 Cor. 12:4)
4) Teaches (John 14:26)
5) Bears witness (John 15:26)
6) Convicts of sin (John 16:8)
7) Guides speaks and declares (John 16:13-15)
8) Inspired the Scriptures and Illuminates them. (Acts 1:16, II Peter 1:21)
9) Intercedes for us. (Romans 8:26)
10) Gives gifts to believers in the context of the church. (I Cor. 12:18, 27-28)
How do we apply God’s indwelling presence to our lives. As we look at the Bible there are several different examples of God’s infilling of His Holy Spirit. There appear to be two distinct aspects to the indwelling. One is when you ask Christ into your life and become a Christian at this point there is the indwelling of the Spirit of God which brings new life and regeneration. But there is also an infilling of the Holy Spirit where there is an in powering. You see this happen immediately when someone comes to Christ and you see it by the laying on of hands and praying for the filling of the Holy Spirit. It is not just a one time thing we need many infillings. Some call this “spiritual breathing.”
- Sincerely desire to be directed and empowered by the Holy Spirit (Matthew 5:6; John 7:37 39).
- Confess your sins.
By faith thank God that He has forgiven all of your sins past, present and future, because Christ died for you (Colossians 2:13 15; I John 1; 2:1 3; Hebrews 10:1 17).
- Present every area of your life to God (Romans 12:1. 2).
- By faith claim the fullness of the Holy Spirit, according to:
- HIS COMMAND – Be filled with the Spirit. “And do not get drunk with wine, for that is dissipation, but be filled with the Spirit” (Ephesians 5:18).
- HIS PROMISE – He will always answer when we pray according to His will. “And this is the confidence which we have before Him, that, if we ask anything according to His will. He hears us. And if we know that He
If you are not experiencing the indwelling of God’s presence then what should you do? If we follow Christ’s example He was baptized then the Holy Spirit descended on Him. First after you become a Christian then I would suggest getting baptized, confess your sin and have someone who you know is Spirit filled lay hands on you and pray for the infilling and in powering of the Holy Spirit. Then practice “spiritual Breathing.
If you like please share it!